- Tried & Tasted -

Monday 12 May 2014

Stamped Cookies


I liked to look at calligraphy. I am always captivated by how simple phrases can be transformed into artworks by just creatively changing the font of the phrase.


Last week, I received a gift - a cookie stamp:) It is a simple phrase related to eating, but the font made it so visually inviting.

I have seen other home bakers using cookie stamps on the internet to decorate their cookies. Some of their cookie stamps are REALLY cute. 

So I decided to use the rolled sugar cookie recipe to try out my stamp. I split the dough into three and made 3 flavors cookies - vanilla, chocolate and matcha (my favourite).
It is speckled with lots of vanilla beans


This recipe can be made into cut out cookies as well.

You can also mix in 100g of chopped walnuts, peanuts, macadamia nuts, slivered almonds or 50g of sesame seed to make the texture and flavour of the cookies more interesting.

I used an ice cream scoop with a diameter of 40mm to measure out each cookie.
 
Rolled Sugar Cookies
(makes 23 cookies)
Ingredients:
320g organic unbleached flour (any all purpose flour will work too)
1/2 tsp salt
198g unsalted butter, room temperature
180g granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla essence (I used 1/2 tsp of vanilla paste + beans from 2 scrapped vanilla pod)

For chocolate dough:
Mix in 1/2 Tbsp of cocoa powder to 1/3 of the dough.

For matcha dough:
Mix in 1 Tbsp of matcha powder to 1/3 of the dough.
Directions:
  1. Sift the flour in to a bowl and set aside.
  2. Cream; on medium speed, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy (3 min).
  3. Add egg and mix till incorporated.
  4. Turn the mixer speed to low and add in flour. Mix till you can see no more streaks of flour in the mixing bowl.
  5. Turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 3 equal portions. Form into round disk and wrap in cling wrap and chill in refrigerator, for 30 min.
  6. After chilling, take 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and form into a ball.
  7. Dip the stamp into some flour and remove excess flour.
  8. Position the ball around the centre of the stamp and press down to flatten the dough.
  9. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 18 - 20 min.
I added vanilla paste and fresh scrapped vanilla beans to the dough after making a bottle of home make vanilla essence. My kitchen smell heavenly when the cookies were baking in the oven.




40mm diameter ice cream scoop
Dust the cookie stamp with flour



Flatten the cookies by pressing down

Viola!!


Yumm.....

I'm going to eat my "Eat ME" cookies now. Hope you will enjoy making them and eating them too.
Happy baking.





To be in the loop, click 'like' on Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment