- Tried & Tasted -

Monday, 1 May 2017

Matcha Pound Cake


 


I like pound cake. It is a 'keep it simple' cake. Baking with simple ingredients, such as fresh eggs, good butter and vanilla, will reward you with a fragrant loaf of goodness. 




I added matcha to the mix and was rewarded with a green loaf of goodness. 




I also love to listen to food podcasts. Being a stay at home mum, I am always moving around the house doing something. Reading is not a good option for me especially when the kids were young. If I ever had time to sit down to read then, most likely I would be fast asleep barely into the first paragraph. 

I discovered the magic of radio 14 years ago. That was when I chanced upon a food talk show on Sunday. Then, I had to have the radio turned on at that specific time to listen to the broadcast. But now, in the digital age, I can listen to it anytime and anywhere so long I have internet connection.

My all time favorite is The Splendid Table, which I have been listening to for at least 14 years. The host, Lynne Rossetto Kasper, touch on a wide variety of food topics. She have a welcoming voice and shed light on food related topics through her knowledge as well as her guests that she host on the show. 

In the past year, I also started listening to Gastropod. The show that looks at food through the lens of science and history. 

Matcha Pound Cake
Makes a 9"x5" loaf
Ingredients
245g cake flour
1 Tbsp matcha powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
285g sugar
255g unsalted butter
4 large eggs + 2 yolks (266g)
60 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla

Steps to pound cake:
  • Preheat oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F).
  • Whisk eggs, vanilla and milk to combine and set aside.
  • Sieve flour, matcha powder, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Whisk sugar to the flour mixture to mix through.
  • Using a beater attachment of the mixer, add butter to the flour mixture and mix until batter lighten in color and texture. Scrape the bowl and paddle thoroughly before the next step.
  • Add the egg mixture in 3 increments, on low speed, into the butter and flour mixture, scraping the bowl after each addition. 
  • Pour batter into a 9"x5" loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper. 
  • Bake until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 60 - 65 minutes. 
Note:
To increase the flavour of matcha, replace the volume of matcha powder added with taking out the same volume of flour. 
Example: Add 1 tsp of matcha powder = Taking out 1 tsp of flour.


 
Share the recipe:
or
Instagram: incookiehaven

No comments:

Post a Comment